Whole Wheat Mini Burgers
After making healthy burger cutlets, it was time to make some healthy buns to go with them. I have been fiddling with whole wheat flour for quite some time , and ‘am more or less sure about how it behaves now- ‘predictably unpredictable’! At times I end up with dense breads , which mostly is because of my laziness to knead it well. Whole wheat flour has very little gluten by itself, so it does not provide enough network for the gas released by the yeast to accumulate. To counter this effect, either add some all purpose flour in the dough ( APF: WWF in 1:1 or 2:3 should work fine) or you can use vital wheat gluten. This is a gluten concentrated flour, which helps to give structure to the breads ( source: kitchn.com).
When I was busy drafting this post, my six year old proudly displayed his masterpiece which he was silently painting.He was trying to draw the monster truck with some innovative coloring.These are the God’s ways of saying that every kid need not be an Einstein to make you proud, they can do that in their infinite little ways….
Hmmm… and the fairytale ended there, he was back to his monster self once he got the required appreciation. If you are trying to find a connection between my son’s painting and whole wheat flour doughs, then there isn’t much…Other than that they both are notorious for their unpredictable behaviours!
These whole wheat burger buns recipe is a versatile recipe, the dough can be shaped into mini pizzas or bread or practically any bread roll.
Ingredients: (makes around 10-12 small sized buns)
- whole wheat flour: 1½ cup
- sugar- 1 tablespoon
- salt- 1 teaspoon
- olive oil- 1 tablespoon
- Instant dry yeast- 1 ¼ teaspoon
- Vital wheat gluten- ½ tablespoon*
- Curd/yogurt- 1 tablespoon^
- Warm water – ¾ cup ( ± 2 tablespoons)
- Sesame seeds- for sprinkling on top of the bun
* If gluten is not available, replace some whole wheat flour with all purpose flour, 1;1 or 2;3 APF:WWF)
^ curd makes for softer breads.
- In a large bowl combine warm water, sugar and oil mix well. If using active dry yeast, add it to this mixture and let it stand for ten minutes before adding the flour mixture. If using instant yeast, add yeast to the flour mixture and you need not wait for ten minutes.For better understanding of usage of yeast you can refer here.
- In another bowl combine flour, salt, gluten (if using), curd, yeast (only if using instant), or any flavourings of your choice.
- Mix well. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture in 3-4 increments, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Using hands incorporate the flour into the water till its mixed well and forms a smooth dough.
- Knead on a clean surface for 10-15 minutes until the dough is no longer tacky and is smooth and elastic.
- Grease a caliberated container ( just to know the amount of rise,I used the liquid measuring jar for this) and place the ball of dough in it. Rotate the ball of dough in it, so that whole of its surface is greased too.
- Cover the container with a plastic or aluminium foil, or wet kitchen towel. Let the dough rise and double. This may take anywhere between 30-40 minutes depending on the weather.
- Once the dough is doubled, place it on a greased platform, pat it slightly to deflate.
- Divide the dough in small golf ball sized parts, shape them into buns.
- Let them rest for 30 minutes and meanwhile pre heat the oven.
- Glaze the buns with some olive oil, sprinkle sesame seeds .
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the top of the buns is golden brown.
- Once done, let the buns cool down , slice them into halves horizontally.
Assembling the burgers:
- Slightly toast the bun halves on both the sides, with little butter.
- Apply tomato ketchup or mustard sauce to the upper surface of lower bun.
- Place burger pattice,cheese slice, tomato slice, lettuce , onion slice.
- Squeeze a dollop of mayonaise or hung curd dip onto the onion slice, place the top half. I prepared the hung curd dip by mixing hung curd, salt, pepper, chilly flakes, garlic bread seasoning ( or fresh garlic crushed mixed with dry oregano).
- Insert at tooth pick to hold the layers, place a cherry or olice at the top.
- Enjoy with some more hung curd dip and tomato ketchup!!