Whole Wheat Chilly Mushroom Foccacia
Chilly mushroom foccacia, whole wheat foccacia, monsoon snacks, easy bread recipes, healthy bread recipes, how to make foccacia.
This post comes after a real long time .Please add some technical issues, lot of personal commitments, few hectic weeks at the work front plus kids’ assignments and tests to the long list of excuses which kept me away from this space. Weekly facebook reminders and few guilty pangs later, on a rare lazy sunday morning, I decided to break the hiatus finally with what I enjoy most- bread baking. Foccacia was always on my mind for the blog, something which I make reguarly, but somehow never posted it. The monsoons bring with it a variety of mushrooms, so experimented with chilly mushrooms as toppings , which paired perfectly with the hot tea and a book, on what I call as my kind of laid back brunch.
According to wiki ‘Foccacia is an Italian oven baked bread product similar in style and texture to pizza. It may be topped with herbs or other ingredients’. Well, its just a pizza minus the cheese (not always), but its less demanding in terms of toppings and lighter on tummy.
Recipe for whole wheat chilly mushroom foccacia:
For the bread:
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons + additional for coating the dough and baking tins
- warm water – 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- Instant yeast –1 teaspoon
- Salt-1 teaspoon
- Sugar-1/2 teaspoon
- Oregano, crushed garlic – for flavouring as per requirement
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mushrooms( I used the fleshy button mushroom variety) – 1 cup
- Green chillies- 1 to 2
- Diced onions-1/2 cup
- Green capsicum-1/2 cup
- Soya sauce- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- as per need
- Tomato sauce-1 tablespoon
To make the topping:
- Heat a thick bottomed pan, add cleaned and washed mushrooms. On a low flame, saute for few minutes, till it leaves out excess water. Drain the water and keep the mushrooms aside.
- In the same pan, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add diced onions, fry till they turn translucent.
- Add diced capsicum, mushrooms and saute for few minutes.
- Add all the sauces, seasoning and toss well.
- After few minutes switch off the flame. Allow it to cool before using.
To make bread
- In a large bowl combine warm water and oil mix well.
- If using active dry yeast, add it to the warm water-sugar solution and let it stand for ten minutes before adding the flour mixture. If using instant yeast, add yeast to the flour mixture and you need not wait for ten minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients ( flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oregano, black pepper, garlic) to a bowl. Whisk well.
- For more information on handling of instant, dry and fresh yeasts please refer to my post here.
- Add half the amount of warm water and Olive oil to the flour mixture and start mixing.
- Using hands incorporate the flour into the water, add the remaining liquid and mix well till it forms a nice dough. If the dough looks too dry, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of warm water.
- Coat the dough with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil, cover with a wet cloth and allow the dough to sit for 10-15 minutes, before beginning to knead.
- Dust a kneading platform with flour, and knead the rested dough for 10-15 minutes until the dough is no longer tacky and is smooth and elastic. You can use stand mixer or hand mixer with dough hook attachment and knead the dough for 4-6 minutes.
- For more information on kneading of dough please refer to my post here.
- Grease a caliberated container ( just to know the amount of rise,I used the liquid measuring jar for this) and rotate the ball of dough in it, so that whole of its surface is greased too.
- Cover the container with a plastic or aluminium foil, or wet kitchen towel. Let the dough rise and double. This may take anywhere between 40-50 minutes depending on the weather.
- Once the dough is doubled, place it on a greased platform, pat it slightly to deflate.
- Also in the meantime, pre heat the oven to 180 degree C.
- Grease a round or square baking tin, spread the ball of dough stretching and spreading it with fingertips. I used two small mini loaf tins.
- Brush the surface of flattened dough liberally with olive oil, with finger tips make some depressions.
- Add the toppings, sauteed onions, mushrooms and capsicums and bake it in the oven for 180 degree C for 15-20 minutes.
- The focacia is done when the bread sides start seperating from the tin.
- Allow it to cool before slicing. Brush some chilly garlic flavored olive oil. For easy recipe for chilly garlic flavoured olive oil, please refer here.
- Serve warm with some soup / tea / tomato ketchup.
That’s one of my favourite books, by Eckart Tolle, “Stillness Speaks”.