URAD DAL LADDU/UDDINA UNDI
Urad dal laddu, uddina undi, split black gram laddus, easy and healthy sweet recipes, diwali special recipes, high protein laddus
Happy Diwali to all my dear visitors!! Diwali is as much about sharing goodies, as much it is about making them. A festival which demands preparation of wide variety of snacks much ahead, and then sharing it amongst all relatives and friends. This Diwali, after a long time, I decided to make some of the very frequently made snacks by mom and aunts. Laddus / sweet balls, of any type make a special appearence on Diwali. Most of the laddus come with a price tag of deep frying , calorie rich, sugar laden treats, something I always avoid, Diwali or no Diwali.
Urad dal laddus, also called uddina undi , with the nuttiness of split black gram (urad dal) in the aromatic flavour of home made ghee, is one healthy sweet we literally grew up eating. Long before any of the energy bars made their entry into the markets, our luggages were stocked with a big tinful of these laddus, before leaving for hostels. Stock these easy to prepare laddus , use them as a pre/post workout meal, or as a healthy snack for your kids, these are a total hit!
Here’s a recipe for Uddina undi/Urad dal laddos/Split blackgram sweet balls.
- Urad dal- 1 cup
- Grated jaggery/sugar- 3/4 cup
- Ghee (clarified butter)- 1/4 cup+2 tablespoons (home made most preferred)
- Cardamom – 3 to 4 pods
optional: nuts of choice, I used roasted almonds- 1/4 cup
- Dry roast black gram till they turn light brown. You can know they are ready when the kitchen starts smelling heavenly!
- In a mixer jar, add black gram, grated jaggery/sugar, cardamom pods.Powder it for 2 to 3 minutes intermittently on high power.
- Take it out in a bowl, add nuts and around 1/4 cup ghee so that the powder binds well. You can add 1-2 tablespoons more if the mixture doesnt bind well.
- Make round balls/laddus out of the mixture.
- Store in airtight box. You can store only the dry ingredients without adding ghee in an airtight box in bulk and add ghee witht he required amount whenever needed.
Wishing all my followers, friends and family a very Healthy , Sweet and Happy Diwali!! May the festival of lights brighten up your lives with lots of happiness and prosperity!!
Other Diwali special goodies- Baked cocoa flavoured Shakkarpare .