Two minute choco lava cake!
Choco lava in two minutes? Halwa hai kya?? (a frequently used idiom in hindi which mean ‘as if its so easy?’ halwa is considered as the simplest and most basic of Indian sweet dishes). At the risk of making an exaggerated statement,I would say it’s easier than halwa. Came across this wonderful recipe in foodiefiasco and couldn’t contain the desire to bake it. I’am not a big believer of comfort food, but yes, I get immense comfort in baking. Baked this sweetie on a week day after a hectic schedule , found as much solace in baking it, as much as it promises to gratify comfort food lovers. No eggs, no butter, with whole wheat flour, soft like a sponge and ready in two minutes, sounds too good to be true? No I’am not conning you into trying out this recipe; but if I go by my watch, I took more time in assembling the ingredients (don’t get discouraged by that long list) than the actual baking part.
Another sweet part of the story is, this dish is my way of celebrating the purchase of my uber cool- almost ramekin like ceramic cups . My long search for those coveted items finally ended. I just adore them for their portion controlled sizes.
The only change I made in the original recipe is to add half teaspoon of oil.(I baked this in two small sized bowls; you can make it in a single big mug, or double, triple the recipe and make it in a bigger bowl. Just make sure its microwave safe). Here goes the recipe:
• Whole wheat flour- 2 tablespoons
• Castor sugar- 2 tablespoons
• Unsweetened cocoa powder- 1 tablespoon
• Baking soda- 1/8 teaspoon
• Milk – 3 tablespoons
• Curd- 1 tablespoon
• Vegetable oil- ½ teaspoon
• Vinegar ( I used white vinegar)- 1/8 teaspoon
• Vanilla essence- few drops
For the lava centre:
• Chocolate chips (white/dark)- 1 tablespoon
• Milk- less than half teaspoon
• Mix together flour, cocoa ( sift if needed), sugar and baking soda.
• In a small cup combine milk, yogurt, oil, vanilla essence, vinegar. Whisk well and keep aside.
• Meanwhile mix chocolate chips with milk and keep it in microwave on high for 45 seconds, until they melt.
• Mix the wet and dry ingredients of cake.
• Pour half the batter in the mug, make an indent at the centre. Pour in the melted chocolate, and carefully cover it up with the remaining batter on top.
• Microwave on high for 2 minutes (I did exactly for two minutes).
• If you don’t have a microwave, bake it for 12-15 minutes in oven. In that case you can melt the chocolate chips on the stove top.
Its so spongy at the sides and molten chocolaty at the centre!!
Hubby finished two and asked for one more,talk about portion control!