Tomato bharta( Burnt Tomato Dip) टमाटर का भरता
Tomato bharta, is a spicy delicacy, with which fell in love as soon as I tasted it. you call it a chutney or dip or sauce or use it as a curry or side dish. This will never cease to wonder you with its versatile uses. You will need bigger variety of tomatoes for this recipe, for simple reason that it’s less work as compared to burning numerous small ones. In our house we serve it with a local fried crispy called ‘badi‘, which is crumbled into the bharta just before serving. You can serve it with papads or any other fried stuff. It gives a crunchy bite to the tangy sauce .
Here’s the recipe:
- Tomatoes ( preferably biggest size you can get)- 2 to 3
- Mustard oil *- 1-2 tablespoon
- Onion- 1 ( finely chopped)
- Garlic –4 to 5 pods ( chopped)
- Green chillies-2 -3 ( chopped)
- Fresh coriander- small bunch ( finely chopped)
- Salt- to taste
* you can use refined oil too, but the pungent taste of mustard oil adds immense flavor to the dish.
- Apply some oil all over tomatoes, make superficial slits with knife, just piercing the skin.
- Place it on the gas burner or you can also use oven to burn it until whole of the skin blackens.
- Once it cools down, take out the burnt peel , wash it in water and mash it to form pulp. Don’t use any mixer,we want the pulp to be chunky.
- Add mustard oil, chopped onions, garlic, chillies, coriander , salt to taste and mix well.
- Serve it with wide variety of parathas, rice , snacks or lick it as it is!!!