TOMATO AND PLUM SALSA WITH ROASTED TOMATO DRESSING
How to make tomato salsa, tomato-plum salsa with roasted tomato dressing, how to make pickled onions, sirke wale pyaaz, party appetizers, 30 days 30 salads recipes, day 11
Day 11 of our 30 salads series, and I guess I would have convinced you by know that salads are far from boring. In today’s salad-Tomato salsa, I have tried to give a sweet-spicy makeover to our traditional tomato salsa , by adding chopped plums and dressing it up with roasted tomatoes. The result was a superb amalgamation of sweet-sour-spicy salsa with a roasted tomato flavour. Try this easy tomato plum salsa as a party appetizer or as a dip, your guests will be pleasantly surprised! I have also pepped up the salsa with pickled onions, to add more colour and crunch to the regular salsa.
Learn a very simple recipe of tomato plum pepper salsa with roasted tomato-garlic dressing, with pickled onions!
Recipe of Tomato plum salsa:
Ingredients for salsa:
- Tomatoes (firm and red variety, medium sized )- 3 nos.
- Plums ( firm, ripe )- 3 nos.
- Red bell pepper- 1/4
- Pickled onions (for recipe read below)- 3 tablespoons
- Coriander- 2 tablespoons (finely chopped)
- Green chillies (finely chopped)- 1 teaspoon
For roasted tomato-garlic dressing:
- Roasted tomatoes (either on gas top/ oven)- 2 medium (read note)
- Roasted garlic- 4 to 5 cloved
- Black pepper powder- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Oregano- 1 teaspoon
Note: to roast tomatoes and garlic, make superficial slits on the skin of tomatoes, apply olive oil and place it on the gas flame. keep turning them till it gets burnt from all the sides.To roast garlic, pick up the garlic cloves with a fork, pass the fork with garlic on the gas flame for few minutes till it is browned.
To make pickled onions (sirke wale pyaaz):
- Onions (diced/sliced/cut into rings)- 2 nos. medium sized
- Beetroot (chopped roughly)- 1/2 no.
- Vinegar- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1 cup
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 tablespoon
- Make a solution of vinagar, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- In a glass jar, add water and beetroot pieces.
- Add cut onions into the jar.
- Pour the vinegar solution into it.
- Shake well and store in refrigerator.
- The onions will get pinkish in colour in about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- These pickled onions can be used in any salad, along side tandoor dishes, curries etc.
- This stays well in refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
To make roasted tomato-garlic dressing:
- Peel the burnt skin of tomatoes and garlic,wash, add them to a blender jar.
- Add olive oil, pepper powder, salt, oregano.
- Blend well to a smooth paste and use as dressing.
To make tomato plum salsa:
- In a big bowl, add chopped tomatoes, plums and peppers.
- Add chopped coriander, chillies, pickled onions.
- Add the roasted tomato dressing, toss the vegetables well to coat them.
- Garnish with few more chilli, coriander and pickled onions.
- Serve as dip with nachos or papads!
Note: You can also use pomogranate in place of plums