Strawberry cake (Eggless)
The most gorgeous and photogenic of all fruits is here, strawberries. The left over strawberries from the valentine’s day dessert, went into this super soft, relatively healthy and visually appealing cake.Our extended V-day celebrations, with India winning over Pakistan for sixth consecutive time in a world cup, it was like icing on the cake. Since had very few strawberries left, and with already calorie loaded tummies, I decided to make a small cake , which could be easily baked in my airfryer. Hubby’s gift on my birthday, this blackbeauty continues to entice me with its versatile uses. I have succesfully baked cakes and breads in it.
The recipe has been adapted and modified from radha’s blog. You can find the original recipe here.
- All purpose flour- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons
- Custard powder/ corn flour ( I used strawberry flavoured)- 2 tablespoons
- Baking powder- 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda- 1/2 teaspoon
- Curd/ yogurt- 3/4 cup
- Vegetable oil- 1/8 cup
- Granulated sugar- 3/4 cup
- Fresh Strawberries, sliced lengthwise- 1/2 cup
- Orange/ Lemon zest- 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Strawberry jam ( for glaze) optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, grease and dust a 6 inch round pan or a 7 inch square pan.
- Sprinkle some flour on the sliced strawberries and keep it aside.
- Sift all the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, soda, cornflour.
- Add sugar and whisk all the dry ingredients well with a hand whisk.
- Beat oil and yogurt well till well combined, add pink food colour (optional).Add lemon/orange zest, it gives a nice citrusy flavour to the cake.
- Mix both the dry and wet ingredients until they are well incorporated, fold in sliced strawberries.
- Pour into the cake tin, tap it on the kitchen counter to remove any air bubbles, bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack. When the cake is still hot smear some strawberry jam onto the surface for a glaze ( optional).
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar, top it with some fresh whipped cream or strawberry mousse for a yummy and gorgeous dessert.
- If you are baking the cake in an airfryer, use a small container that would fit into it, pre heat at 180 degrees C for around ten minutes and bake for 35- 40 minutes.
- If you feel the cake is browning on the top, and isn’t cooked in the centre, cover it with a tin foil and continue baking for another 7-8 minutes.
- whenever a recipe is doubled,all ingredients except baking soda and baking powder are doubled exactly.If you want to double the above recipe, add baking powder 1.5 teaspoon, baking soda 3/4 teaspoon.