RUSSIAN SALAD/MIXED VEG COLD SALAD
How to make Russian salad, Healthy Russian salad recipe, easy Russian salad recipe, Mixed vegetable salad, home made eggless mayonnaise recipe,30days 30 salads recipes, day 4.
Russian salad, originally called as Olivier salad in Russia, is a very popular mixed vegetable salad in other countries too (source-wiki). This salad basically comprises of diced vegetables dressed in white sauces, mainly mayonnaise. Cheesy base with bite and texture of diced vegetables is what makes it a popular salad at parties. Here, I have tried to make it slightly healthier, by using home made eggless mayonnaise . I have also reduced the amount of mayo by adding hung curd. The result was an equally tastier but healthier version of Russian salad. I chilled the salad for a couple of hours before serving,the vegetables by then were nicely marinated and flavoured with mayo. So, here’s an easy recipe for Russian salad and also for eggless Mayonnaise.
For Healthy Russian Salad:
- Par boiled mixed vegetables (boil till they are just about soft, but still retain their bite, roughly for 3 to 4 minutes of roaring boil)- 1.5 to 2 cups
(I used french beans, boiled and diced pototoes, green peas, diced carrots)
- Diced fruits (cut into cubes)- 1/2 cup ( I used apples and pineapple)
Home made eggless mayonnaise: (recipe adapted and slightly modified from tarladalal.com)
- Fresh cream ( I used Amul fresh)- 1/4 cup
- Condensed milk- 1 teaspoon
- Extra virgin olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds powder- 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice- from half a lemon
Procedure to make home made eggless mayonnaise:
for eggless non diary version of mayonnaise, please click here
- Whip the cream and condensed milk either with a hand blender/handmixer or hand whisk for 1 to 2 minutes.
- With the mixer rotating , continue pouring olive oil into the container.
- Beat for another minute or so, the mixture becomes thick.
- Add all the flavourings and seasonings one by one i.e salt, pepper, mustard powder, garlic powder, lemon juice. Mix well.
- Store the mayo in an airtight container, it stays good for 3 to 4 days. You can freeze it if want to store for longer.
- I used around 2 tablespoons of this mayo for the salad.
Other ingredients for the dressing:
- Hung curd- 2 tablespoons
- salt- to taste
- black pepper- 1 teaspoon
- sugar- 1/2 teaspoon
- Add all the diced vegetables and fruits in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk hung curd,mayo, pepper, salt, sugar.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables, toss and mix well.
- Tastes best when chilled for couple of hours.
- Sprinkle some more black pepper before serving.