ROJAK- VEGETABLE AND FRUITS IN TAMARIND DRESSING
Rojak salad, vegeterian rojak salad recipe, southeast Asian spicy salad rojak, mixed fruits and vegetable salad in tamarind pulp dressing, easy and healthy vegeterian salad recipes, 30 days 30 salads recipes, day 29.
So, on the penultimate day of our 30 days 30 salad series, we have a Southeast Asian spicy , tangy and sweet salad – Rojak. Rojak/Rojuk is a Malaysian and Indonesian traditional fruit and vegetable salad dish (source:wiki).I first came across this salad when browsing through Sanjeev Kapoor’s recipe book, googled and found a number of variations of this salad, which is a very famous street food in Malaysia and Indonesia. Its variations include non-vegeterian and vegeterian versions, and also differs in the varieties of vegetables and fruits that go into it. The salad is best described as fruit and vegetables in a sticky, sour and sweet tamarind sauce. The variety of textures and flavours the vegetables and fruits provide, in the backdrop of tamarind sourness, not to forget the crunch of roasted peanuts/sesame seeds is what makes this South Asian salad unique.
The recipe has been adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor’s website, modified based on few recipes to include yam, peanuts and paneer (cottage cheese). Here’s a simple recipe for vegeterian version of Rojak salad:
Ingredients for salad:
- Pineapples (cut into 1 inch cubes)- 1/2 cup
- Cucumbers (cut into 1 inch cubes)- 1/2 cup
- Yam ( rataaloo), can be replaced with potatoes – 2 to 3 (small sized)
- Tofu/paneer cut into 1 inch cubes- 1/4 cup
- Roasted groundnuts/sesame seeds- 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind pulp (thick)- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- brown sugar- 2 tablespoons
- chilli flakes/ fresh red chillies- 1 teaspoon
- salt- to taste
- Peel and wash yam, cut into 1 inch cubes. Boil for few minutes till they become fork tender, drain all water and keep the pieces aside.
- Heat a non stick skillet, place all the yam pieces, sprinkle few drops of oil and salt over the pieces, pan fry till the surface becomes golden brown and crispy.
- Similarly , grill/ fry paneer/ tofu pieces till they turn golden brown.
- Once yam and paneer cool down, add them to a big bowl along with pineapples and cucumber.
- Prepare the tamarind sauce by heating tamarind pulp.
- Add brown sugar, salt, chilli flakes. Mix well , boil for few minutes and switch off the gas. Few recipes have added soya sauce to the tamarind pulp, I omitted it.
- Once the sauce cools down, add it to the salad bowl, toss all the pieces well.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts/sesame seeds,serve immediately .