Roasted red pepper and walnut spread
Roasted red pepper and walnut spread also called ‘Muhammara‘ or ‘Mhammara‘ is Syrian dish widely popular in middle eastern cuisine. Made from red bell peppers and roasted walnuts, this can be whipped in minutes, acts as a great spread for your pita breads too. If you are in no mood to serve your pita bread with the traditionally accompanying hummus and falafel, go for this gorgeous dip with smoky-spicy flavour of red peppers and creaminess of walnuts.
A pretty simple recipe, with easily available ingredients :
- Red bell Peppers ( roasted on flame or in oven till the outer covering blackens)- 1 big
- Walnuts (roasted)- ½ cups
- White bread slices- 2 (cut the sides and use only white part)
- Garlic- 2-3 cloves ( pass it over flame few times to get smoky flavour, or in oven for few minutes)
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Roasted Cumin ( jeera) powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Chilly flakes- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- 1/2 teaspoon (to taste)
- White vinegar (or lime juice) – 1 tablespoon
- Blend all the ingredients other than olive oil in a food processor or mixer.
- Then add olive oil and blend till uniformly incorporated.
- Drizzle some chilly garlic flavoured oil and serve with warm pitas, buns or other breads .