Red velvet cupcakes
- Fresh beetroot purèe – ¾ cup ( beets diced, pressure cooked for 2-3 whistles until tender and purèed)
- Vegetable oil – ⅓ cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1½ teaspoon
- All purpose flour – 1¼ cup
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Cocoa powder- 1½ tablespoon
- Baking powder- 1½ teaspoon
- Milk – 1 cup
- Red food colour (I used wilton gel colour) – less than ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees C.
- Grease the cup cake tins with oil, and line them with individual cup cake liners.
- Sift flour,cocoa powder, salt and baking powder and keep aside.
- In a mixer jar, mix the beet puree and oil until incorporated.At this stage if you feel you need to deepen the colour, add a little smear at a time according to the color needed.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract and give a final whip.
- Add this mixture to the dry mixture, adding milk to adjust the consistency.
- Divide among cupcake liners, filling them ¾ full, and bake for 15-20 minutes (for mini cupcakes) and 20-25 minutes (for regular sized cupcakes) until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- cool them on wire rack, serve with frosting or as it is with some icing sugar sprinkled!