Red cabbage and Corn salad
Ever since I discovered this egg-free mayo, I’am searching for newer ways to utilise it. Used it as a spread in sandwiches, and as dressings for salads. Cold salads for hot summer afternoons, is something to definitely look forward to for lunch these days. I used my homemade mayo in this colorful salad, vary the vegetables according to the availability.
- Red cabbage- 1/2, finely sliced into thin strips
- Baby corn- 4-5 (cut into roundels)
- Sweet corn- ½ cup
- Capsicum/ bell pepper of any color of choice- 1 small
- Broccoli florets – 1 cup
- Green peas- ¼ cup
- Cherry tomatoes ( I used normal ones)- 4-5
- Roasted bread cubes- optional
Spices and seasonings:
- Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
- Mayonaise – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Chilly flakes- 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Steam baby corn, sweet corn, broccoli, diced capsicum, green peas in steamer / idli stand.
- Marinate thinly sliced red cabbage with lemon juice and salt for ten minutes. If you want the salad to be crunchier, use it after marination. However if you don’t like the raw taste of cabbage, steam it separately for 2-3 minutes. Excessive steaming will make it very soft.
- Put all the steamed vegetables in a serving bowl, drain any remaining water and allow them to come down to room temperature. Add cherry tomatoes. Keep the serving bowl with veggies in deep freezer for ten to fifteen minutes and then in the refrigerator till the serving time.
- Just before serving, take it out of the fridge, mix teaspoon of mayonaise, Chilly flakes, adjust salt according to taste.
- Garnish with roasted bread cubes and serve with drink of your choice.
For egg free, non diary version of mayonnaise click here
For egg free mayonnaise made using fresh cream click here