RAW PAPAYA SALAD
Raw papaya salad, healthy salad recipes, 30 days 30 salads recipes, easy and tasty raw papaya salad, easy vegan som tum salad recipe, day 3.
Day 3 of my 30 day 30 salads series. Raw papaya salad, I never believed raw papayas could ever be used in a salad, let alone such a tasty and flavourful one. Raw papayas are very commonly used in Thai cuisine, but his salad is slightly different in flavours from the very famous som tum salad. This is a slightly Indianised and vegan version. As I mentioned earlier,from the start of this 30 salad series, I have been getting tremendous response and help from my close followers. One such talented soul and my very close friend Karishma, has contibuted this recipe. I give her entire credit for this most awesome most flavourful not to mention healthiest salad. Karishma I should have seen this coming when you vouched this is your all time favourite! It now has become my all time favourite too!
Ingredients for raw papaya salad:
- Grated papaya- 1 cup ( roughly from half of small papaya)
- Roasted peanuts- 2 tablespoon
- Green chillies (finely chopped)- 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander (finely chopped)- 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon ( from half lemon)
- Salt- to taste
- Roasted jeera (cumin) powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper- 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted sesame (til) seeds- 2 teaspoons
- Take finely grated raw papaya in a bowl. You can either thinly cut papaya or use a grater,you can squeeze and remove excess water, but i used it as it is . Place it in deep fridge for 5 to 10 minutes so that they firm up.
- In a small bowl prepare the dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic. roasted jeera (cumin) powder, salt and black pepper. Keep the dressing aside.
- Lightly dry roast sesame seeds , keep aside.
- Take out the papaya bowl from freezer, toss in coarsely crushed roated peanuts, finely chopped green chillies, chopped coriander.
- Drizzle the dressing over the papaya, mix well.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl, sprinkle sesame seeds and serve chilled.
Note: You can pep up the taste by adding fine juliennes of coloured peppers or cherry tomatoes, though I highly recommend not to do so, the raw papaya tastes great as is!