PUMPKIN RAITA/PUMPKIN SALAD
Pumpkin raita, pumpkin salad, 30 day 30 salads series, day 1,healthy salad recipes, easy salad recipes.
Pumpkin raita / pumpkin salad is one of the easiest and favourful way of including this beautiful vegetable in our diet. Starting from today, I will be doing a 30 day-30 salad series. Simple, soul satisfying salads, easy to make with readily available ingredients. I start with this pumpkin salad, as mom makes this very frequently and pumpkin is one vegetable we get all through the year here. Sweetness of pumpkins, tossed in the sour curd and beautifully flavoured with mustard and curry leaves, this pumpkin raita is high on flavour as well as nutrition.
- Pumpkin (red variety,peeled, washed and finely diced)- 2 cups
- Mustard seeds powder- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- 1 teaspoon ( adjust according to taste)
- Home made curd/yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Black pepper- 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Refined oil- 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric- 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal ( split black gram)- 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 15-20 leaves
- Take diced pumkin pieces, sprinkle salt and mustard seeds powder. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, tossing once at 2 minutes. alternatively, you can do this in a non stick pan, with very little oil, tossing and turning in between, til the cubes are just about tender. Don’t over cook them as they become mushy soon.
- Allow the pieces to cool down, meanwhile proceed with tempering.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal, turmeric, curry leaves, switch off the gas.
- Beat curd well, add black pepper powder.
- Add the tempering to the curd, mix well.
- Add this to the cooled pumpkin pieces, serve cold.