PINEAPPLE AND PHOOL MAKHANE KA HALWA
Navratri recipes,How to make pineapple and phool makhane halwa, how to make pineapple and foxnut halwa, pineapple and foxnut pudding, easy and healthy desserts.
Makhane/ foxnuts are popped lotus seeds. They are one of the most commonly used ingredients during fasting, especially during Navratris. The seeds are good source of protein, and the roasted and mildly salted makhane is a favourite snack for my kids. . As its usually bland, can coat in any flavour, and is used in a lot of dishes- both sweet and savoury. I paired it with the very flavourful tropical fruit pineapple to make a halwa out of it. The theme for our fortnightly event, healthy wellthy cuisines being halwa, this super flavourful, easy and healthy dessert was very apt to enter the event.
Ingredients for Pineapple and makhane halwa
- Pineapples(finely chopped)-1 cup
- Phool makhane ( foxnuts)- 100 grams
- Desi Ghee- 3 tablespoons
- Jaggery (or sugar)- 1/2 cup (may increase according to taste)
- Safron- 1 pinchful
- Water- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cashew nuts /any other dry fruits- 3 tablespoons
- Dry roast makhane with few drops of ghee in a thick bottomed pan. It will take 8 to 10 minutes of sauteeing on medium flame for the makhane to roast till they are crispy.
- Once they are well roasted, switch off the flame. Allow them to cool down , grind them to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add the dry fruits, and roast till they are light brown, take them out in a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add chopped pineapple pieces, fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add jaggery tot he pan, mix well with the pineapple pieces.
- Once the jaggery melts and starts to bubble, add water , soaked saffron, cardamom powder, allow the water to boil.
- Add the makhane powder, mix well.
- cook for few minutes, switch off the flame.
- Garnish with fried dry fruits, serve warm/hot.
Note:if after adding makhane powder, the mixture becomes too thick, add some more water.