Orange- Cranberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Orange- Cranberry cream cheese pound cake, easy cream cheese pound cake, how to make Orange pound cake, Christmas special recipes, Orange cake recipe , how to make orange compote, how to make home made cream cheese.
Christmas time is here
We’ll be drawing near
Oh, that we could always see
Such spirit through the year
(lyrics of the song- ‘Christmas time is here’, by Mark Kozelek)
It’s Christmas time folks and its every Baker’s festival! Cookies, Cakes, Puddings, Breads,my oven works overtime in December. My fruits are soaked in rum and orange juice. Home made extract experimentation in process – some vodka infused with Vanilla beans, Orange zest, Cinnamon, Coffee beans in four different bottles resting in kitchen cabinet. Lots of recipe hunting for some variations of fruit cake to be baked. In case you are frowning upon the sugar splurge and Insulin surge, I do share a ‘good’ amount among friends 😉 Gingerbread Man cookies, Soaking of Christmas Fruits , Christmas Cakes ( alcoholic -non alcoholic version, eggs and eggless versions) were few of my Christmas bakes last three years. This year it’s a citrusy bake ( how can you ignore oranges in December!)- buttery, delicious crumb, interrupted by plum cranberries and raisins. This is one fruity bake you HAVE to try .
If you happen to see my Strawberry Cream Cheese pound cake post, this recipe is exactly similar except that its an orange flavoured pound cake with dry fruits. A very apt cake for holiday season, if you don’t want to go through the ordeal of buying and soaking multiple dry fruits and nuts. The cream cheese is home made and gives a perfect texture to the pound cake. This recipe is my oft baked cake with eggs. I stick to the recipe every time, not even trying to change the shape,bake it in the same loaf pan every single time ( and the remaining batter in cup cake moulds). The cake is such a delight every time!!
Recipe for Orange cream cheese pound cake recipe:
Ingredients for Orange cream cheese pound cake :
- Butter – ½ cup (100 grams packet of Amul butter )
- Cream cheese – 2/3 cup (150 grams) read note
- Granulated sugar (measure and then powder)- 1 cup
- All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups minus 3 tablespoons
- Corn flour/ custard powder- 3 tablespoons
- Eggs- 3
- Baking powder- 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda- 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract- 1 teaspoon
- Orange zest – 1-2 teaspoons ( from 1 orange)
- Prepared Orange compote – 5-6 teaspoons ( recipe below)
Note: You can use ready made cream cheese or make it at home. Making it at home is an equally delicioius and much cheaper option. Boil 750 ml milk in a thick bottomed vessel. Once it starts boiling, add half a lemon juice/ 1 tablespoon vinegar / citric acid crytals dissolved in 1 tablespoon water. Check for the first signs of splitting milk and switch off the gas. Drain all the whey and collect the cheese. Squeeze out excess water from the collected cheese. In a blender jar, add the cheese, 1 tablespoon thick yogurt/curd ( homemade/ready made), 1 tablespoon fresh cream ( like Amul Fresh). Blend to a smooth paste. The cream cheese is ready to be used for the recipe !
Recipe for Orange compote:
- Oranges- 2 no.s (medium sized, peel the wedges and keep aside)
- Granulated sugar- 1/2 cup
- water- 1/4 cup
Procedure to make compote:
- Juice 7-8 wedges of oranges ( about half of an orange) with 1/4 cup water.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add orange juice, remaining peeled orange wedges ( do not chop it, we need the chunky oranges in the final compote).
- Add sugar and cook on low flame for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep stirring intermittently .
- Once the mixture thickens, switch off the flame, allow it cool.
- The compote will be slightly liquidy. Just remove excess juice from the compote, add it back to pan.
- Once the juice starts boiling, lower the flame, add cranberries and black raisins or any other dry fruit you are using for the cake.
- Boil for 5-10 minutes till the fruits turn plump and soft. Switch off the flame, keep aside and use in the recipe later.
Procedure to make strawberry cream cheese pound cake: (Yields one loaf cake and 5-6 cup cakes)
- Grease and line a loaf tin ( 9 ‘ x 4 ‘ ).
- Sift flour, custard powder, baking powder and baking soda, using a dry whisk mix the dry ingredients well and keep aside.
- In a stand mixer/ hand blender, beat cream cheese and butter for 5 -6 minutes until well mixed, light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar in 3-4 increments of 1/4 cup at a time and continue beating until all the sugar gets well mixed.
- After all the sugar is mixed in, add an egg to the butter-sugar mixture and beat it well.
- Add vanilla extract, orange compote, orange zest and ½ cup of flour mixture, blend well.
- Repeat the process of adding another egg, beat, vanilla extract-orange compote-orange zest, mix, ½ cup flour mix.
- Add the third egg, vanilla-orange and last increment of flour mixture, give a good mix until it forms a uniform blend.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Place in cold oven (non-preheated) and switch it on to 170 degrees C. Bake for 60 – 70 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean. Pour the remaining batter if any into small cup cake moulds, bake them for 12- 15 minutes, until they are done.
Note: If you feel the cake is browning too fast , then cover the top of the tin with an aluminium foil and continue baking.
This cake is my entry to the Healthy-Wellthy Cuisine’s #Bakingwithfruityaffair theme for Christmas. check out some amazing fruity recipes from our group Egg- Free Raisins and Walnuts Quick Bread, Chocolate Fruit Cake, Apple Pie Crescent Rolls , Nutty Fruity Cookies, Pineapple Tarts, Lemon-Coconut- Blueberry loaf cake, Lemon Crinkies.