Whole wheat Mini Pizza
I’am back with my portion controlled dishes, but this time for a different reason. Recently son complained that I don’t give him the store brought chips and instant noodles in his tiffin like his other classmates. He feels very tempted seeing their tiffins. I was aghast. Talk of all the effort in baking breads and cakes going down the drain. I said, ‘Ok, let’s talk’. We tried to explain how the home made stuff was more healthier than those store brought ones and blah blah. He seemed convinced, however for how long is a question. I chalked out a day wise tiffin menu, based only on his suggestions. One of his ideas was to have a mini pizza on Tuesday. I silently calculated, pizza on a week day meant an added activity on a packed Monday. I agreed. After all a mother’s ego was at stake. I semi baked the pizza bases on Monday evening and just had to add toppings and bake again the next morning.
Baked with whole wheat, more paneer than cheese, and topped with his favourite capsicum and sweet corn, the mini pizzas fitted perfectly in his tiffin and my schedule. The compliment I got in return was- “I won’t share this with anyone or for anything”. I breathed a sigh of relief. I know this is a never ending battle, but I have managed to find a solution atleast for the time being. More
parenting woes tiffin ideas coming your way ;-). Stay tuned.
Ingredients (for the base):makes 10-12 mini pizzas
- Whole wheat flour- 1 ½ cups
- Instant yeast- 1 ¼ teaspoon
- Vital wheat gluten- 1/2 tablespoon(optional)*
- Warm water- ¾ cup
- Olive oil- 1 tablespoon
- Sugar- ½ tablespoon
- Salt-½ teaspoon
- Cheese- ¼ cup grated , loosely packed
- garlic-2-3 cloves
*Original recipe didn’t use gluten, you can avoid it too. Pizza base doesn’t need too much of gluten to hold up its shape unlike bread, as it is flatter and softness is achieved by the grated cheese in this recipe.
Ingredients ( for the sauce):
- Tomatoes- 4 medium sized
- Onion- 1 large
- Basil leaves- few or dried mixed herbs- 1 teaspoon
- Chilly flakes- 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
- Olive oil- 2 teaspoons
- tomato sauce/ketchup- 2 tablespoons
- Garlic- 5-6 cloves
Preperation of Pizza sauce:
- Blanch and peel tomatoes. Make a purée. ( alternatively you can finely chop it )
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add finely chopped garlic.
- Add chopped onion, sauté till it just about turns light brown.
- Add tomato purée, chopped basil, mixed spices,tomato sauce.
- Lastly add salt, chilly flakes, black pepper according to taste, bring the sauce to boil and switch off the flame.
Preperation of pizza base:
- In a large bowl combine warm water, sugar and olive oil mix well. If using active dry yeast, add it to the water-oil mixture and let it stand for ten minutes before adding the flour mixture. If using instant yeast, add yeast to the flour mixture and you need not wait for ten minutes.
- In another bowl combine flour, salt, gluten (if using), yeast (only if using instant), grated cheese, chopped or grated garlic.
- Mix well.Add the flour mixture to the water-oil mixture in 3-4 increments, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Using hands incorporate the flour into the water till its mixed well and forms a smooth dough.
- Knead on a clean surface for 10-15 minutes until the dough is no longer tacky and is smooth and elastic.
- Grease a caliberated container ( just to know the amount of rise,I used the liquid measuring jar for this) and place the ball of dough in it. Rotate the ball of dough in it, so that whole of its surface is greased too.
- Cover the container with a plastic or aluminium foil, or wet kitchen towel. Let the dough rise and double. This may take anywhere between 30-40 minutes depending on the weather.
- Once the dough is doubled, place it on a greased platform, pat it slightly to deflate.
- Divide the dough in 3-4 parts.
- Flour a flat surface or your kitchen counter, take each ball of dough and roll it using rolling pin till it is of uniform thickness.
- Take a cookie cutter or any small bowl and cut small round pieces out of it.
- The portion in between the rounds can be used to make more bases.
- Grease a baking tray well,poke the centre of each pizza with a fork leaving around 1 centimetre of peripheral area. This will ensure that it doesn’t rise much at the centre.
- Brush olive oil at the margins, and place it on the baking tray.
- Once done, bake them for 10-15 minutes without any toppings. You can refrigerate this in ziplock bags. Stores well for 2-3 days
- Assembling the pizza:
- Take each base, spread a layer of pizza sauce.
- Add a layer of cheese/paneer, toppings of your choice, lastly another layer of cheese.
- Sprinkle chilly flakes according to preference.
- Bake it in a preheated microwave/oven for 8-10 minutes, till the cheese melts.You can switch to grill mode during the last few minutes to brown the cheese.
Since it’s a healthier version of pizza, I prefer to serve it with nimbu pani/lemonade. Ditch the aerated drinks if you really want to enjoy this slice!