Mango Oats Pancakes
In my search for some easy and healthy breakfast ideas, I stumbled upon this easy pancake recipe from a recent cookbook which came free with Quaker oats. It has some very amazing oats recipes. I will definitely be trying a few more from it and would be posting a couple of them in my blog too.
Kids absolutely loved these fluffy pan cakes, the younger one in particular as he gets to lick the honey 🙂 I made a few modifications to the original recipe, instead of egg whites used egg replacer. You can also use flax meal, or some baking soda.mangoes can be replaced with bananas in other seasons.
Recipe here (source quaker oats cook book):
Ingredients: (makes around 5-6 medium sized pancakes)
- Quick cooking oats (I used quaker, roasted and powdered)- ¾ cup
- All purpose flour/ whole wheat flour- 2 tablespoons
- Mango purée ( either fresh or canned)- ¾ cup
- Sugar- 2-3 tablespoons
- Milk- ¼ to ½ cup
- Egg whites- from 2 eggs OR egg replacer 2 teaspoons OR flax meal* – 1 tablespoon OR baking powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Vanilla essence or Lemon zest- ½ teaspoon
- Salt- a pinch
- Oil- 1 to 2 teaspoon to make pancakes
- Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl – roasted and powdered oats, flour,salt, baking powder (if using) and dry whisk them well.
- Make purée of mangoes with little milk and sugar to a uniform paste.
- If using flax powder, beat one tablespoon flax powder with three tablespoon water till it forms a frothy egg like liquid. Place it in refrigerator for half an hour and mix it in liquid ingredients. If using egg whites, beat the egg whites well before adding into the liquid bowl.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, beat well, adjust the consistency into a ‘pouring batter like’ using milk.
- Heat a non stick griddle, spread few drops of oil.
- Pour the batter with a ladle, spread it like a dosa. Make it thick or thin depending on your personal preference, cover it and allow it to cook on low flame for few minutes
- Once done, flip the side, cook for few minutes on the other side.
- Serve it with a generous drizzle of honey, fresh fruits and lots of love!!