Mango bread pudding (eggless)
With a penchant for buying baking tins, I brought two cute looking mini loaf pans and was itching to bake in it.I had some mango bread at hand and decided to make bread pudding.I gave my custard a mango twist by adding mango pulp to appeal to our mango loving palates. Bread pudding is the simplest of the desserts which you can bake in a jiffy. By the time your oven is preheated,your are almost done with your preperations and voila!! a healthy dessert is ready in no time. I borrowed the basic bread pudding’s idea from tarla dalal’s site and mangofied it my way:-) You can also make this with plain bread and vanilla custard .
Recipe goes as follows:
- Bread pieces ( any kind, white/brown/multigrain/home made)- 6 slices
- Butter – 1 table spoon
- Corn flour/ custard powder- 2 table spoon
- Sugar- ¼ cup ( mango purée also imparts sweetness to the dish, so adjust accordingly)
- Milk- 1 ½ cups
- Mango purée- ½ cup ( canned or made from fresh mangoes without adding water)
- Vanilla essence- ½ teaspoon
- Chopped nuts (assorted)- ¼ cup
- Preheat the oven to 180 o C. Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Prepare the custard sauce. First boil 1 ¼ cup milk in a pan, simmer the flame.
- Add 2 table spoon custard powder in the remaining ¼ cup milk, mix in sugar and mango purée. Whisk well and keep aside.
- Add this mango milk mixture to the boiling milk, and stirring continuously allow it to cook till the sauce thickens. Add in vanilla essence one the sauce is cooked.
- prepare the bread slices by cutting its edges,apply butter on one side and cut it into squares or rectangles or triangles (since I was using my home made mango bread, I preferred to use the slices with crust)
- Arrange half of the cut slices in the pan, in a single layer with the buttered side facing up.
- Pour 1-2 tablespoon of warm milk over the slices , just to make it moist.Alternatively you can also dip the slices in warm milk , do not make it soggy.
- Now pour half of the prepared custard sauce over the arranged slices. Sprinkle nuts.
- Arrange remaining pieces of bread above this, moisten it with warm milk and pour the suace over the slices.keep around 2 tablespoons of custard sauce aside for serving.
- Sprinkle the nuts and bake at 180o C for 35-40 minutes till the custard sets and a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean.
- Either have it warm or refrigerate it for 3-4 hours before serving.I prefer to refrigerate it and serve with a drizzle of custard sauce.