GINGER CHUTNEY/ADRAK CHUTNEY
This ginger flavoured and sweetened with jaggery sweet and hot chutney, takes your idli / dosa platter to another level!! A spicy hot super appetising accompaniment for hot rice too.
- Fresh Ginger – 1 measure( peeled and roughly chopped)
- Tamarind ( deseeded and cleaned, not washed)- 1 measure
- Jaggery-1 measure
- salt- 2 teaspoon ( vary according to taste preference)
( I used around 1/4 cup of ginger, slightly less tamarind and slightly less jaggery)
- Oil- 3-4 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
- cumin (Jeera) seeds – 1 teaspoon
- dry red chilly-2 to 4
- red chilly powder- 2-3 teaspoon
- fenugreek (methi)seeds (dry roasted and powdered)- 1 teaspoon
- Wash, peel, clean and dry fresh ginger and roughly chop into small pieces.
- Deseed and clean tamarind.
- Finely grate jaggery.
- Add all the three ingredients and grind into a coarse paste.
- In a wok, heat oil, add mustard seeds.
- Once it splutters, add cumin (Jeera), turmeric and red chillies.
- Turn off the flame and let the oil cool down.
- Once it cools completely, add chilly powder and dry methi (fenugreek) powder, mix well.
- Now add the ginger tamarind paste into the oil, mix well.
Serve with idli, dosa, upma, peserettu, plain rice or lick it as it is!!