Baking is so much fun until life starts happening 😊 . Kids and workplace remind you that there’s more to life than the coffee chocolaty aroma eminating from your oven, jolting you out of your baking paradise.This post comes after an exact one month of my baking hiatus . So before my baking ingredients scream expiry and my baking paraphernalia threaten to disown me, I stumbled upon these crinkly wrinkly chewy coffee chocolaty chunkies. The original recipe is from myrecipes.com, and I have almost adapted it as it , but for few changes in quantity. You can check the original recipe here.
Ingredients: ( yields 22-24 cookies)
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Powdered sugar- 1 cup (½cup + ½ cup)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- ¼ cup
- Baking powder- 1 ¼ teaspoon
- Salt- 1/8 teaspoon
- Canola oil ( I used regular vegetable oil )- 5 tablepsoons
- *Chocolate (finely chopped ) – ¼ cup
- Instant coffee granules- 1 teaspoon
- Brown sugar- ½ cup
- **Corn syrup/liquid glucose/ honey- 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract- 1 ½ teaspoon
- ***Egg whites – from 2 eggs
* Original recipe stated unsweetened chocolate, however I used the regular sweetened chocolate bars and reduced the amount of sugar in the original recipe. The final measures stated in my recipe are after all the reductions, I felt the sweetness adequate. however, you can increase the sugar if you want them overly sweet.
** Original recipe used 3 tablespoons corn syrup, I used liquid glucose which is its standard substitute. since I was handling this ingredient for first time, I used just one tablespoon in the recipe. you can use honey in place of liquid glucose. I will completely omit it in my next attempt and update the result in this space.
***Egg white can be substituted by flax meal. add two tablespoons flax powder to six tablespoons warm water, beat well using a small whisk or fork, refrigerate for 15 minutes and use in the recipe.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and ½ cup powdered sugar in a bowl, mix it with a hand whisk.
- In another big bowl, add chopped chocolate, melt it in a double boiler or in a microwave by stirring intermittently. Make sure you take a big bowl, as this is the final bowl where you mix in dry and liquid ingredients.
- Once chocolate is melted, switch off the flame, add espresso granules, Brown sugar, corn syrup/ honey/ liquid glucose, vanilla, stir till they all melt into the chocolate. Allow the mixture to cool down for five minutes.
- Once it’s cooled down, add egg white/ flax water mixture, and give a good whip with hand whisk.
- To this bowl, add the flour mixture, knead till they are just about combined.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- After two hours pre heat the oven to 180 degree C. Grease and line a baking tray.
- Take out the dough , make small roundels. Shapen and flatten them into cookies, roll them in a bowl containing half cup of powdered sugar, coating them liberally.
- Line cookies in the tray, bake them for 10-12 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- Cool them on wire rack and store in airtight jar.