Eggless Strawberry Mousse – A Valentine’s Day Treat
Lover’s day or Valentine’s day, somehow got unnoticed until I started blogging. I guess the food bloggers all over the world go ga-ga over it, simply because you get to play with such wonderful colors and flavours on this romantic day.
I am one of those boring people who do not believe in a special day to express love, however this year its different. How can my blog be not coloured with pinks and reds when everyone else is conveying their feelings. Also having recieved a very special gift from hubby, it was my turn to express my love.I am blessed to have a spouse who shares my profession, passion and philosophy of life. But with two little devils around, it had to be something less elaborate, quick and easy.
The strawberry mousse is one such simplest of the desserts with just three ingredients and if you stay in a place like mine, hunting down for the ingredients will probably take you more time than actually whipping the dessert.
Here’s a quick recipe with the shortest list of ingredients.
- Fresh strawberries- 10-15 for puree, 5-6 chopped for garnishing
- Whipping cream- 1 cup
- Icing sugar*- 3-4 tablespoons
- Agar agar/ china grass# – 5 gms/ half packet if its a 10 gm packet
* If using a non-diary whipping cream, which is already sweetened, reduce the amount of sugar going into the dessert.
# You can use gelatin in equal amount if agar agar is not available.
- Roughly chop strawberries, add 2 tablespoon sugar and grind it into fine puree.
- Preperation of china grass- prepare it according to manufacturer’s instructions or heat around one cup of water , add china grass and allow it to boil until it dissolves completely.strain it to remove any undissolved remnants and keeep aside.
- Mix the strawberry puree into the agar agar mixture.
- Pour 2/3 rd puree into the serving glasses, this will form base for the mousse.
- Allow the glasses to chill in the refrigerator for around ten minutes.
- Whip the whipping cream in a chilled bowl and with chilled beaters until soft peaks, keep aside.
- Add remaining 1/3rd puree to the whipped cream, fold in gently until it’s uniformly mixed.
- Once the base is set, pour the strawberry flavoured whipped cream into the glasses, allow it to set for 2 hours or overnight.Garnish with chopped strawberries before serving.
Serve it as toppings for cakes, cup cakes, top it with more strawberry sauce, or simply fold in finely chopped strawberries, the options are endless. Celebrate your romance with this simple and elegant dessert….