Drumstick leaves stir fry
Drumsticks leaves stir fry, simple drumstick leaves fry recipe, murungai keerai poriyal
Drumstick leaves, scientifically called Moringa Oleifera, containing approximately 90 nutrients and 46 antioxidants, is considered to be a superfood in Ayurveda. They are a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, essential amino acids( the building blocks of proteins which body cannot synthesize and depends solely on food as its source), Iron, calcium and many other essential micro and macro nutrients. Its benefits are also used in the treatment of high blood pressure and diabetes.
Once an occasional dish before I discovered this miracle food, the drumsticks leaves stir fry is now a regular feature at my home , as we have a huge tree in our clinic complex. A simple dumstick leaves stir fry has just a dash of garlic, few grains of split green gram lentil (moong dal) for some texture and the leaves for its chewiness is extremely satiating especially paired with hot rice , ghee and some pickle.
Another important reason to post this super healthy and simple dish is, as a part of a very cool and like minded foodie group, we will be posting fortnightly events with one important nutrient as our theme. The theme of this week is Vitamin A. All brightly coloured vegetables, like bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, leafy vegetables are an excellent source of this vitamin which is involved mainly in vision and immune function.
- Drumstick leaves ( seperated from its stalk, cleaned and drained off water)- 5 to 6 cups
- Split green gram lentil ( moong dal)- 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Garlic – 3 to 4 pods roughly crushed
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chilly- 1
- Wash and pressure cook moong dal in a small pressure cooker for one whistle. If you don’t have a small pressure cooker, you can soak the lentils for 15-20 minutes and boil it in a water till they are half cooked.Drain the excess water, and keep the lentils aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter add red chilli and crushed garlic, fry for few seconds.
- Add the cooked moong dal, fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add drumstick leaves, salt and continue frying till the excess water evaporates.
Serve as a side dish with some hot rice and ghee for a simple and soul satisfying meal.