Tortilla ( pronounced as tohr-tee-yah), is as staple to a Mexican diet as much is a roti to an Indian. A kind of flat unleavened bread, it has a lot of variations , just like our infinite varieties of parathas depending on fillings and flavorings.
Traditionally a corn tortilla is made from masa harina, a kind of maize flour treated with lime. Many recipes have Indianized this mexican staple by using maize flour( makai ka aata) and I ended up with one such experiment. I paired it with simple stir fried bell peppers available plentily in winters. Add any seasonal vegetables, boiled sweet corn and garnish liberally with cheese ! Make it as a brunch, a quick lunch or as a lazy dinner, an international dish with simple available ingredients to amaze your guests.
The recipe is as follows:
- Maize flour- 1cup
- All purpose flour- 1/2 cup
- Wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Warm water- 1cup + extra if needed
- Salt- 1 teaspoon
- Refined oil- 1 tablespoon
- Sift all the flours in a bowl, mix in salt , oil.
- Add warm water little by little and knead into a soft dough( similar to chapati/ roti).
- Cover the dough with wet cloth and let it rest for half-n-hour at least.
- Pinch out small balls out of the dough and roll into thin chappatis.
- Heat a flat griddle and cook them evenly on both sides.
If not consuming immediately, once the tortillas are cooled, wrap them in a clean muslin cloth and store it in an airtight box.
For filling:I have used all varieties of bell peppers here, you can use any seasonal vegetables available.
- Refined oil/ olive oil- 1 tablespoon
- Onion ( medium, finely chopped)- 1
- Evenly diced red green and yellow bell peppers 1/4 cup each.
- Green peas – 1/4 cup
- Paneer(cottage cheese) – 1/4 cup evenly diced.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vinegar- 1 tablespoon
- Optional- any fresh or dried herbs as per availability.
- You can also use olives, boiled sweet corn, jalapenos etc. for the filling.
- In a small sauce pan, boil peas and diced cottage cheese for 5-6 minutes, drain water and keep aside.
- In a non stick pan, heat oil, add chopped onions, fry till they are translucent.
- Add all the vegetables ( except peas and cottage cheese fry for few minutes.
- Add boiled cottage cheese and peas and mix well.
- Add vinegar, salt, pepper, mix thoroughly and switch off the gas. You can add any fresh / dried herbs.
- Spread each tortilla flat , place the filling , you can add freshly grated cheese(optional ) , fold into half or roll the tortilla and serve hot with chilly sauce or tomato ketchup!