Coleslaw, how to make cabbage salad, shredded cabbage and carrots with mayonnaise dressing, healthy salad recipes, 30 days 30 salad recipes, day 12
Coleslaw , pronounced as ‘kol-slaw’ is a kind of cabbage salad with a white creamy dressing, usually mayonnaise. With two cabbage salads already in the list of 30 salads, I was in two minds to include a third one. The first cabbage raita and second corn and red cabbage salad. The third one is different from the other two in taste texture and addition of few other ingredients. The home made mayo used for Russian salad was used for this Coleslaw. This salad tastes best when served cold, chilling it for few hours allows the flavours of mayo to seep into the shredded cabbage.
Here’s a quick and simple recipe for Coleslaw using shredded cabbage and carrots.
Ingredients for Coleslaw:
- Finely shredded green cabbage- 1 cup
- Finely shredded purple cabbage- 1/2 cup
- Carrots, finely sliced/grated- 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise ( I used homemade, for recipe click here)- 3 to 4 tablespoon
- Lemon juice- from 1 lemon
- Black pepper powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Hung curd- 3 tablespoons
- Salt- to taste
- Sugar (optional)- 1 teaspoon
- Fill a vessel with water, bring it to boil.
- Add shredded cabbages, after 60-90 seconds take it out. You can also microwave for 4 minutes , tossing in between at 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the cabbage to ice cold water. Drain water after few minutes, and transfer the cabbage to a big bowl.
- Add grated carrots.
- Mix hung curd, lemon juice, salt, sugar, pepper powder to mayo.
- Add this dressing to the cabbage, mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, serve cold.