CLUSTER BEAN/GAVAR/ CHAVLEKAYI CHUTNEY
Cluster beans/ gavar tastes way better in chutney form than in the curries.I end up licking it from the mixer jar itself and a substantial portion is already gone before it reaches the plate.
Ingredients (in approximate amounts)
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Green chilly- 2-3 ( as per taste)
- Dry red chilly – 1-2 ( as per taste)
- Cluster beans/ gavar/ chavalekayi (cut in one inch sized pieces)- 1 cup
- *Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Salt- as per taste
- Tamarind- 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds/ til ( dry roasted) – 2-3 tablespoons
- Groundnuts (dry roasted)- 4-5 tablespoons
*you can replace it with hing/asfoetida- ½ teaspoon
- oil- 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
- turmeric- ¼ teaspoon
- dry red chilly- 1
- curry leaves- 10-15 leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté green chillies, red chillies and cluster beans separately.
- Let the beans fry till they are soft and tender.
- Add crushed cloves of garlic and fry .
- Lastly add tamarind and close the lid for few minutes.
- Switch off the flame, let the ingredients cool down.
- Transfer all the contents into a small mixer jar, add dry roasted sesame seeds and groundnut seeds, adding a little water at a time grind all the ingredients together into a coarse paste.
- For tempering heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, red chilly , curry leaves.
- Pour the hot tempered oil onto the chutney just before serving.