Chickpea and Broccoli Patties
Pizzas and burgers are every kid’s favourite. Whole wheat mini pizzas are a regular feature in son’s tiffin now. Just have to bake the bases a day before, next morning load the toppings and some grated cheese, pop into the microwave and you are good to go! Wanted to try something similarly convenient with burgers too.Was searching for some good vegeterian options for burger patties and then it so happened that I got hold of a big flower of broccoli. I combined it with chickpeas, a bit of green and a bit of protein, a pinch of this and a fistful of that, and there I had, some lovely patties ready to be tucked under the soft whole wheat buns. Everything about this recipe was whimsical, so feel free to change the ingredients or spices according to your preference, replace broccoli with cabbage, cauliflower or spinach ( and please let me know how it turns out). The dip is healthy too, instead of mayo, I used hung curd with garlic seasoning.
- Chickpea ( kabuli chana), soaked and pressure cooked- 1 to 11/4 cup
- Broccoli florets- 2 cups
- Onion ( finely chopped )- 1 medium sized
- Salt – to taste
- Green chillies (finely chopped)- 1 teaspoon (vary according to taste preference)
- Corriander powder- 1 teaspoon
- Chaat masala- 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander- 1 small bunch
- Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon
- Cook chickpeas till they are soft and easily yield when pressed with fingers. Run them in a blender, till it forms a coarse paste.
- Blanch broccoli florets by boiling them in sufficient water for some time, drain the water and immerse in cold water to retain their colour.
- Finely grate broccoli using a grater and mix it with the chickpea paste.
- To this mixture, add chopped onions, salt, corriander powder, chaat masala, chopped green chillies, fresh coriander, lemon juice.
- Mix it thoroughly, shape them into small oval or round patties.
- Air fry at 180 degree C for 15 minutes, stopping once after ten minutes to flip them.
- Alternatively you can deep fry or shallow fry in a non stick tawa till they get a golden brown colour.
- And here they are safely tucked into these bite sized , portion controlled and cute mini burgers!!