CHEESE-CHERRY TOMATOES-PINEAPPLE SALAD
Cheese-cherry tomatoes-pineapple salad, 30 day 30 salads recipes, how to make home made paneer, flavoured paneer/cottage cheese recipe, home made flavoured paneer/cottage cheese, healthy salad recipes.
Day 2 of my #30day30salads series and am loving it. Lots of ideas are pouring in from friends and family. Second day into this, I will be doing a simple tropical flavoured salad, my take on very famous party appetiser- cheese cherry and pineapple. We don’t get fresh cherries here, the candied sugar loaded ones are sold in the name of cherry.. The tinned cherries are not only bland but floating in a bed of preservative water. But if you can get hold of fresh cherries, by all means replace the cherry tomatoes with it. You can use plain market brought paneer/cottage cheese, but I prefer healthy home made one, pepped up with some flavours and spices. Here’s the recipe of how to make home made flavoured paneer at home.
Steps to make home made paneer (flavoured/plain)
- Heat whole milk (preferred than skim milk) in a thick bottomed pan. I have used 1 litre milk here.
- Once the milk starts to boil, add juice from 1 lemon .
- Check the first signs of milk curdling and switch off the gas.
- Once the cheese has completely seperated from whey(the watery liqid), add herbs/flavours of choice( I have used mint here)
5. Place a cheese cloth/thin cotton cloth over a container, and drain the water off the cheese. Tie the cloth tightly to drain remaining water, let it hang for 10-15 minutes.
6. Now place a heavy weight over the cheese cloth , let it be for around 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, the paneer would have firmed up
Cut into cubes and use in the dish.
For the Cheese-Cherry Tomatoes-Pineapple salad:
- Pineapple ( peeled, cut into cubes)- 1 cup
- Cherry tomatoes- cut into half- 1/2 cup
- Flavoured/plain paneer (cottage cheese)- 1/4 cup
- Honey- 2 tablespoons
- Black salt- 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper- 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice- 1/2 teaspoon
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- Mix lemon juice and honey, dissolve salt and black pepper.
- Add pineapple tomatoes and cheese in a bowl.
- Toss in the dressing just before serving, mix well.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
- You can also make party finger foods by mounting them on small tooth picks or large skewers.
- Using whole milk gives the best result, fat free /skimmed may not give you a firm paneer. Whole milk is called ‘whole’ for a reason, its whole in nutrition quotient.
- You can flavour paneer by adding chillies/chilli flakes/ coloured peppers/ coriander or any other herb or flavour.
- You can replace cherry tomatoes with fresh cherries.
- If you want to go non-diary, replace cheese with tofu.