carrot chutney केरेट चटनी
In the season of carrots, I would feel incomplete if I am not whipping my aunt’s signature and my favorite chutney – carrot chutney. The red winter carrots are ideal for this sweet and spicy appetiser.
- Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Carrots ( red variety preferably) – 2 medium sized
- Urad dal/ black gram- 3-4 tablespoon
- Green chillies – 2 ( depending upon taste preference)
- Salt- as per taste
- Groundnuts ( roasted and coarsely powdered) – 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Oil- 1-2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera- 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly (dry)- 1
- Curry leaves- 4-5
- Heat oil in a pan, add green chillies, urad dal and fry well.
- Add diced (around 2 inch pieces) carrots and fry till they are cooked to fork tender. Keep adding little water if it starts getting burnt.
- Add tamarind, salt and cover the pan with lid for few minutes.
- Switch off the flame, Once the contents cool down transfer into a mixer jar and blend into a coarse paste adding little water to adjust the consistency.
- Add roasted groudnut powder and give a final mix.
- for tempering, heat oil add hing/asfoetida, mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves, red chilly and pour it over the prepared chutney.
- Serve with hot rice or parathas.