CABBAGE RAITA/CABBAGE SALAD
How to make purple cabbage salad, cabbage raita, green and purple cabbage raita, green and purple cabbage salad,30days 30salads recipes, day 8
Into the day 8 of 30 salad series, we have cabbages, a difficult vegetable to be included in salads (at least for me). Cabbage is one of those vegetables which shouldn’t be eaten raw. The smell of this vegetable is also not liked by few. This raita is a very simple and special recipe handed over to me by my aunt. A bowl of this simple soul satisfying raita can be a very fulfilling meal if you want to eat light. My aunt makes this with tender green cabbages.Though I can never replicate the same taste as hers, I modified the recipe slightly by adding few shreds of purple cabbage.
A crunchy cold colourful salad on day 8 of our series – Green and Purple Cabbage Raita!
Ingredients for cabbage raita
- Finely sliced green cabbage – 2 cups
- Finely sliced purple cabbage- ¼ cup ( can be replaced by green one)
- Curd- 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin (jeera) seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 15 to 20
- Hing (asafoetida)-a generous pinch
- Chopped Coriander- for garnish
- In a microwave proof bowl add the cleaned and finely sliced cabbages, salt, mix well and keep aside for 5-10 minutes. The cabbage absorbs salt and softens a bit.
- After ten minutes, microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, tossing and turning once in between. You can alternatively do this on a gas top, using a thick bottomed pan, on sim flame and with lid covered. Keep tossing in between and switch off the gas in 3 to 4 minutes.
- allow the cabbage to completely come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile prepare the temper by adding few teaspoons of ghee, asfoetida, cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves. Switch off the gas, add chopped coriander to the ghee and mix well.
- Beat the curd well and pour it over the cooled cabbage, mix well.
- Add the tempering over the top, adjust salt according to taste. Serve chilled.