BROCCOLI AND SWEET LIME SALAD
Pomelo broccoli salad,Broccoli and sweet lime salad, broccoli and orange salad, broccoli and Pomelo salad,easy and healthy salad recipes, Healthy Indian salads, 30 days 30 salads recipes, day 23.
Broccoli and cucumbers are few of those vegetables which look good more in a salad than in any dish or curry. The granular texture of broccoli florets needed something squeezy-juicy soft fruit to be paired with. The local markets here are flooded with biggest variety of sweet lime/ mausambi now in this season. I googled and found they are called ‘pomelo’ / Citrus maxima.I was told that the good ripe pomelos have a pink interior and taste sweet-sour ( basically citrusy). I grabbed two of them greedily from roadside vendor, and to my dissapointment, they were white when cut. They still tasted good. They were real juicy inside with big fleshy granules, which could be easily seperated. I paired them with the blanched broccoli florets .Some sprinkled pomogranate seeds later, the salad looked all decked up, a loaded bowlful of antioxidants and vitamins, making way into the reporteire of 30 days 30 salad series on day 23.
Recipe for Broccoli and sweet lime salad:
Ingredients for salad:
- Broccoli florets- 2 cups
( cooked in hot water for 2 minutes and immediatedly immerse in ice cold water, keeps the colour of broccoli intact and stopes it from being mushy and over cooked. )
- Pomelo/Sweet lime/Mausambi/Orange- 1 cup ( cut into 1 inch pieces, If you can get the pomelo, seperate the juicy granules)
- Pomogranate- 1/4 cup + extra for garnishing
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Orange/lemon/sweetlime juice- 2-3 tablespoons
- Roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)- 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry chilli flakes- 1 teaspoon
- Garlic- 2 to 3 cloves crushed
- Roasted sesame seeds/any seeds of choice- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- to taste
- Add all the vegetables and fruits in a large bowl. Save some pomogranate seeds for garnishing.
- In a small bowl, prepare dressing by whisking olive oil, orange juice, cumin powder, chilli flakes, salt.
- Pour the dressing in the larger bowl, toss well.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds/sunflower seeds on top, some pomogranate seeds and chilli flakes. Serve cold.