Brigadeiro – No Bake Citrusy Choco Balls
Brigadeiro is a Brazilian sweet delicacy made of just three ingredients- condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter (source: wiki). There was a video widely circulating on facebook foodie groups a few days back (my source of recipes is becoming repetitive now 😆). Co-incidentally hubby who was out of town saw a similar delicacy somewhere in a local bakery and whatsapped me if I knew how to make it. With the recipe lingering on my mind, immodest me said I will make a much better one for you 😎! I followed the recipe from the video , just flavoured it with orange zest to make these goey-citrus flavoured brigadeiros!
These beauties are so simple , with just three basic ingredients! For kids’ parties, as festival gifts or as a simple dessert, they are just perfect. Try flavouring them with other extracts, stuff some crunchy nuts or fresh berries. the options are endless. No baking, no sweating over tempering chocolate or melting in double boiler, read ahead for the easy recipe of brigadeiros.Check out the original video here.
- Butter – 2 ½ tablespoons
- Cocoa powder – 6 tablespoons
- Condensed milk – 400gm ( one tin)
- Chocolate or any other flavoured sprinkles- ¼ cup
- Orange zest: 1 teaspoon
- In a flat non stick sauce pan, add butter , cocoa powder and condensed milk.
- Using a whisk or a spoon stir till it forms a uniform mix.
- Add Orange zest or any flavoring extract of choice.
- Cook the mixture on low flame till it thickens and leaves the sides of the vessel. This will roughly take 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture thickens , switch off the gas and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Pinch off little mixture and make small marble sized balls.
- Roll the chocolate balls in sprinkles of any choice. I used chocolate vermicelli sprinkles, you can use finely chopped toasted nuts, or even desiccated coconut.
- Refrigerate for atleast an hour.
- If you don’t have a citrus zester ( like me😔), then using a vegetable peeler, remove long strips of superficial orange colored peel from an orange carefully leaving out white bitter pith portion. Then grind these strips with 1-2 tablespoons sugar in the smallest blender jar. Use this Orange flavored sugar in the recipe . You can also use this to flavour cakes, custards, puddings, breads etc.
- To give extra texture and bite, you can add toasted and chopped nuts .