Ber / Jujube Berry pickle बेर का अचार
A tangy way to store these seasonal berries, got this wonderful recipe from my mother in law. Though its a pickle, I bet you don’t need any accompaniments with it. I can lick and eat bowlfuls of it, as it is. This recipe was on my to-post-list for quite some time, I had to hurry before the berries kiss us good bye for this year. In India the ‘ber’ season almost ends by march,and if you are lucky go grab a batch and make this quick and simple pickle. A grrrreat way to satiate those crazy cravings if you are an expectant mother!!
Here’s the recipe: ( everything is in approximates)
- Ber/ Jujube berry- 250-300gm
- Mustard oil- 1/4 cup
- Jaggery (darker the better) – 1/4 to 1/2 cup (depending upon preference for sweet)
- Tamarind- 1/8 cup
- Vinegar- 1/8 cup
- Cumin (Jeera dry roasted and powdered- 1 tablespoon
- Dry red chillies ( dry roasted and powdered)- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- 2 tablespoon (may vary according to taste)
- Turmeric- 1 teaspoon
- Wash thoroughly and dry the berries.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add grated jaggery.Stir it intermittently .
- Once jaggery melts completely,add vinegar, mix well.
- Add tamarind, cumin-chilly powder, salt, turmeric.
- Mix all the ingredients till well combined.Switch off the flame and once it cools down slightly add berries.
- Now, you can either eat it as it is, it tastes just awesome, however if you want to store it, you need to reduce the water content in it.
- Store the berries in airtight jar for 3-4 days until all the water is released.the berries shrink.
- After four days transfer it into a wide container, keep it in hot sun every day for few hours till the water dries up. Transfer it back to the airtight container every day so that it does not catch the humidity from the air.